Thursday, June 14, 2007

Can you guess what I just uploaded?

... Can you?

Ship dates are always very emotional for me.
There's something really significant about declaring something ready.
Well, it's had two months of beta and it's rocksolid. And nasty.

Anyone who reads about marketing will discover Zipfs law soon enough... #1 gets 90%, #2 gets 9%, #3 0.9% and so on... I have a feeling about TBK3.. this really could be the plugin that becomes the #1 compressor... I wonder...
There's been a long phase of people wanting accurate models of analogue compressors, but I dont think i'm being controvertial in suggesting that it's more due to wanting a compressor that really does the job than there being some bizarre magic to a particular piece of kit - it's always you that decides what sound you take from it, after all. And here we are sitting on TBK3, which REALLY DOES get the job done and is quicker to use than any other comp I know of...

It could just happen...

What's even more nuts is the realization that the people who read this blog could make it happen. The biggest problem at Sonalksis is that no-one knows who we are... we've really struggled for magazine inches, and without big advertising capital you're stuck... Everyone's always telling us about how good the plugins sound... perhaps people like to keep them as secret weapons? ;)

But I've got this long list of things people tell us they really want, from ring modulators to spring-reverbs, pitch-shifters to new even-more-pro eqs, some really pro mastering gear, etc etc (i might post the list sometime...) and I really do like shipping products... with your support in spreading the word, we could afford to take on more people and get these things done.
Can you help? What could we do to make spreading the word easier? Will TBK3 just make it happen?

You can either stay tuned... or start writing the script...

8 comments:

Semtek said...

Hi Dave,

Have you thought about targetting the DJ/Dance Music Press? I know that DJ mag and IDJ have their own tech sections, as do Knowledge Mag and ATM. Given that the average DJ now makes music as a matter of course, it's really worth targetting these publications. I'm sure the same is true in the states as well.

I don't think that advertising really works in the same way it used to. You have to rely on bloggers and forums to get your name out there. It's also worth building relations with artists who use your products - in this celebrity hungry day and age people are surprisingly suseptible to their reccomendations. It does make a difference to me if I know that producers I like are using x product to get their sound.

Anyway, that's my 5 cence, good luck with the plugs, looking forward to tbk3

B

Anonymous said...

Ciao Dave, I've put the TBK3 here as soon as I got the newsletter :-)

http://audionewsroom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for plug in to do sidechain for intel mac vst.

your latest demo plug-ins (v.2.02 gate,comp) make big buzzing noise in Cubase 4.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm kind of spreading the word on all forums I visit (the UAD forum for example, but most people there already seem to know and value the plugs, especially the 315 comp.)

Also, thanx a lot for the "upgrade from other plugins" special price for the bundle. I have just spent like 30 minutes trying to decide weather to just buy the TBK3, or to shell out the extra 70 euros to get the bundle (i do like the other two, but I already have quite a few filters, and i think the TBK2 is a bit overpriced when compared to similar other plugs, even though it's very good sounding)

Then I noticed, same price for the bundle as for the TBK3 since I already own other sonalksis plugs, well, that kind of made the choice easy... =)

Dave Sonalksis said...

benjamin:
The DJ mags are a good idea... I've seen their tech bits before, but never really known how to get stuff in there... I'll ask JFN to take a look at getting in touch with those guys; I agree it'd be great exposure!

Also I agree about endorsement. We are planning to redo the site. I think we can all agree that the Sonalksis site is not exactly a bastion of great web-design... The new site will feature a lot of content that we have lying around - artist endorsements (can you BELIEVE that we have a list of quotes from BIG NAMES that we DONT PUBLISH??? It blows my mind.), samples, and hopefully some nice new features (preset sharing? tune sharing? mix advice from our golden eared users?) to make being part of the Sonalksis family even more fun...

fab:
cheers for the plug! I took a look, but my Italian is lousy! ;)

anonymous:
If you're getting weird sounds from 315mk2 v2.02 on vst/intelmac then you should DEFINITELY send me an email at customer support - that's really not normal ('cause I use it all the time!) and I'll fix it as quick as I can.

rydan:
Thanks for spreading the word!! It is greatly appreciated!
I can't take any credit for our recent pricing stuff - the guys have done a GREAT job, and everyone seems to be very happy!! :)

Anonymous said...

Redoing the site eh… and I was just about to ask if I could redo it in exchange for plugins. ;)

Felnik said...

Jonas,

Contact me.

jfn (you know what goes here) rekkord (and here as well) com!

Cheers,
JFN

Anonymous said...

I know it might sound stupid...but what about MySpace? I know thta Pioneer Pro DJ have a MySpace page...and you could get all of the users added on as "friends"...that would start to show some real numbers...something quantifiable when you want to approach printed press?