Wednesday, December 06, 2006

New Parallels Desktop Beta!

Hey,

As I may have mentioned, I use Parallels for my PC development stuff (and thereby only need one computer to roll EVERYTHING out). I got an email the other day to tell me there's a new beta out... so, throwing caution to the wind, I downloaded and installed...

Cool Feature one: It boots your BootCamp installs... When I got my macbook i rather naively allocated a rather large windows partition that has lain pretty much dormant... So, tried it, didn't work... read the info PROPERLY, found I had to install some Parallels tools, and it worked like a charm - it adds new bootmenu options to windows, and it all rolls out nicely.

First time I installed it, all my network stuff was broken... scary, but after I rebooted (having installed the Parallels stuff) it came back perfectly.

Cool Feature two: Coherence... I kept clicking on this and nothing happened, so I reinstalled my Parallels tools, and then it worked. Oh My God. It's crazy. This is the coolest thing anyone has done in a long time... Basically, my Windows apps float around with my mac apps... and I have a startbar under my mac menu... Crikey. This is incredibly cool.

If you own an intelmac, and have any reason at all to run windows in any circumstances (and even if you've already set up bootcamp), you NEED Parallels. This is the coolest piece of software ever.

Dave.

1 comment:

Dave Sonalksis said...

Now, the only reason I ever have to boot with bootcamp is to run protools... guess what, they're working on the usb support...
damn. that's cool.