Friday, August 04, 2006

And so it begins

I decided it'd be a good idea to start a development blog for Sonalksis projects.


This way, you guys can tell how things are progressing, and it saves me (a developer, rather than tech support) trying to read through the forum. Hopefully a big link to this is pasted somewhere on the forum so you will all know about it.

So... what IS news at camp Sonalksis?

Well, I saw one posting on the forum claiming that the two founders have new jobs now... wow... actually they've been immersed in some geniunely groundbreaking research for a few years now.

I've been brought to the team to take care of all the other 'little' things... like IntelMac (which is done now, and just needs testing), the RTAS versions of TBK (which are done, and again just need testing), and next is the 719 Gate, that just needs a little tidying.

Sorry you've not heard much from us, but now I have a blog so you can follow what I'm up to!
I'll try and post fairly regularly - every time I get to some milestone.
I can even use this as a way to share notes on the weird weird things that go on in plugin development!

So... let's start with some questions you'll probably be asking...
1) Why is this on blogger.com, and not on the sonalksis site?
Because blogger is really good, and I didn't want to have to add anything to the sonalksis site. I don't look after the site.

2) Who are you?
I'm Dave, I'm a software engineer - I used to work at Focusrite/Novation. A few things I've done include The Forte Suite for Protools, some MIDI drivers for some novation/digidesign units, was on the team for The Saffire Suite plugins, on the team for the Saffire range control panels, contributed some bits to the Liquid Channel... and TBK, which I hope you all like.

3) Will you let me be a beta tester?
No. I choose my beta testers - they're people I know and trust. Sorry; my beta list is like the A-Team. If you're hardcore enough, or prove yourself in some way, I'll come to you.

4) When can we see some stuff?!?!?!?!!?
Well, the email server blew up today, and it's getting fixed - hopefully as I type this.
Once that's done, someone will be setting up a mailing list for the beta testers, and we'll launch a load of stuff for beta... There's a new product finished too...

Basically, I've spent the past few weeks acclimatising myself to the way all the existing Sonalksis code works, and setting things up, like automated builds (This is important! see: The Joel Test ), and doing things like intel mac, and RTAS ports.

I've got to the end of that now, so it's time to test and release... and then the next major objective is the gate...

but before that...
*) Beta test everything
*) Get the DirectX plugins building automated
*) Maybe redo the installers to use the fantastic Inno Setup, which will work well with automation...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad so see this, I think the sonalksis plugs are great, the comp is really the best.

Anonymous said...

Can you give us any clue about the research the two founders have been up to?

Dave Sonalksis said...

Nope. Not even a rumour.
Sorry.
We're just doing it how Apple do. ;)

Anonymous said...

I can tell you, but then, I have to kill you.

:D

Dave Sonalksis said...

Yeah, actually, Felix has to kill you whether he tells you or not.

Weird, huh?