Thursday, August 10, 2006

Today, my brain hurts.

Heya,

Today has been.... eventful (read: painful).
Fixed a bug in the copy protection so that intel mac demos don't time out immediately.
Refactored TBK severely, so it's MUCH MUCH quicker to open the UI and to load.

Suddenly TBK crashes in protools on launch.
Uuuugh!
Poke around for an hour or two, and discover that I have (Very cleverly) left a directive in the build that it should use the instruction set and register set for the G5 only, for compiled code. I have no idea how. I didn't know that that setting existed. I'm using a macbook. It crashes. I remove the directive. It works. I curse, loudly, but feel better afterwards. :)

Killed the lovely nag screen when a plugin starts up.
Built all the plugins ready for beta.

At this point, I was ready to celebrate.

Until.

Someone *cough* decided that we should use this opportunity to check that the copy protection actually works, which is, unfortunately, fair enough.

Rebuild all plugins.
Then, beat up the installers (well, actually the mac one was fine, but the PC one needed kicking) to build TBK installers. Uuugh. If I'd put a few more hours in before, it'd have taken a few hours less.

I still haven't built that window that lets you choose -which- plugins get installed. Still on the list of things to do.

So, built em. Felt glad. Ready to celebrate. Headache in full swing by this point.

Recompilation sucks, because it takes a long time, and makes the computer very VERY hot.
I have a heatpad thing from the apple store. My laptop is cool, and comfy, all day. Except when it's doing heavy compiling. Then it melts my legs again.
I am using Parallels to run windows and compile for windows. I have to test stuff using bootcamp (because isochronous streaming to a virtualised os is mostly impossible), but it means i can compile win stuff, and check i haven't broken anything without rebooting.
Unless I leave XCode open, which eats ram. When both apps are running, my computer is essentially dead. It's a deeply frustrating experience. More RAM please! Anyone know if I can fit more than a gig in a macbook?

And now... we're going to beta -without- the installers, because we want to test them separately. Oh great. I'll do that tomorrow. Enough for today. Gah.

Feel free to post ibuprofen :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, you have been doing magic today!

Tomorrow is already today, though, some sleep will help...

;)

Dave Sonalksis said...

Beer helped lots ;)

Anonymous said...

You the man Dave !!!