Thursday, August 24, 2006

AU and MIDI [mac specific]

Uuuuuugh

So.

We wanted MIDI input for the TBK AU.

Now, if you want midi input, you need to be a MusicEffect (or a synth, which we aint).

So, I hacked and hacked, and now we're a musiceffect.
I've been playing midi to TBK in Logic and it loves it. Filth.

Now, the catches:
1) To play midi to a plugin in logic, you have to instantiate the TBK on an instrument channel, and select a "sidechain input" as the audio input. Then it all just works.
2) I can register as either an Effect, a MusicEffect (with midi in) or BOTH.
If I register as Effect, you don't get midi.
If I register as MusicEffect, you get midi, but your old sessions stop working, 'cause it can't find TBK any more
If I register as both, everything keeps working, you get midi... but TBK shows up twice in your plugin menus. Definitely the least evil option. I'm going with this.

If anyone has a fix, or a better idea- or some magical hackery - please please please let me know!

Dave.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave!

You can contact Apple and the Logic team directly by using these mailing lists:

All about CoreAudio and AU in general:
coreaudio-api@lists.apple.com

Logic and AU specific:
logic-au@group.apple.com

Anonymous said...

To subscribe CoreAudio API Mailing List:
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/coreaudio-api

You can use logic-au@group.apple.com directly to get in contact with the Apple/Emagic Developers.

Dave Sonalksis said...

electrock you F*CKING HERO!!!

PERFECT fix :)

Works GREAT now!!

Cheers!

Send me an email... ;)