Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Putting your names on things.

Hello.

I am debating a point, and I'd like to throw it open to anyone who'd like to comment.

Obviously our job is to provide you with as much as we can for your money.
I don't think anyone wants to question the quality of the software, but what I want to discuss is other stuff we can do to make your world a bit better.

Personalised installers look like a good thing - zero hassle for you.
Perhaps also including an uninstaller, so you can easily and quickly install/uninstall bits?

People like to customize things - I've changed things so you can customize our UIs... but...
When I ran the very first TBK beta, I put the betatester's name across the knob. And people loved it!? Honestly, I don't know why. It WAS discrete, but it was still prominent. I can almost see the appeal... but I don't really get it. But----- if it makes people happy, I'll do it! :)
I've been thinking that maybe people would like to have their names on display on the UIs of plugins?

Basically, I'd like to do some things to reward paying customers for being lovely and supporting the cause.

People who support the cause without paying are ok, because they keep the name alive... but without the paying customers, I'd be working in a supermarket, and no-one would have any plugins!
Remember, I'm the last one in (most recent hire), so I'll be the first one out!

I'm well up for any kind of online communities you want, I'm happy to go and hassle people for whatever purposes you can devise.

Tell me what you want (besides more software... I'm on that!) and if people want it, it will happen :)

Please, talk to me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally prefer registered name to be in the About Box of the plugin rather than on the frontend of the GUI. Just my 2 cents

To get a bit more activity generated here, you may wish to post details about your blog on software forums such as www.kvraudio.com :)

Fots

Dave Sonalksis said...

Could some people do this for me?
Pleeeeeease? :)
I am basically forum illiterate :-(

Anonymous said...

You got it Dave...

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2091116#2091116

Fots :D

Anonymous said...

I'm actually a fan of personalising software.

Especially when the crack-heads have to register odd names into their cracks, so at least they have to look at them everytime they use the cracked plug.

(Just remember if you are a magazine reviewer, be careful about the screenshots you send in... d'oh!)

I have customised Logic with modified splash screens, custom metering and so forth. I think it's quite nice for studios, if they are bothered, to include their studio branding on their tools.

Ultimately I guess, some people like their monikers on the gui, others don't, and it seems like a silly thing to do to add a preference for this. I was gonna suggest an install option maybe, but then I'm not sure whether you do the reg stuff during or post-install (I don't own any Sonalksis stuff yet).

But I like something of me to be up there. it's prolly the only way I'll get my name in some kind of lights, without programming it into my synth display... :D

By the way - this is an excellent Blog Dave. Really cool to see some of the stuff that goes on, especially the decision making process and some of the techy stuff (without giving away company secrets, of course!). And it's great that you ask your userbase for opinions.

It really makes you a much more open, friendly, and personal company, unlike, say, Apple, where you really don't know what they are doing, who they are listening to, what they deem important, and whether they care about the people agonising about stuff that should work but doesn't (G5 Quad anybody? Controller assignments? etc)

So here's an extra one for today: Dave - you rock!

smart said...

putting the name on the knob might be fun, but I'd appreciate an option to turn it off in the options menu though.

Agree with Anonomous here btw, this blog is great! Great way to get into the mind of the dev and hear about whats going on in Sonalksis world.

Cheers Dave!

Dave Sonalksis said...

So it seems like it's totally a good idea to be able to put your name on the UI- but make it optional.

Do you think the crackers might agree to doing me a little favour? - I'm sure I can do them some favour in exchange... It would be great if they'd agree to, say, customise the plugin graphics with their team logo... or maybe hack the registered name and disable the "switch off the registered name" option.

That would suit me just great! ;)

My eventual plan is to have a registered user login area, where you can download personalised installers... and free plugins available exclusively to registered users... ;)
And then we can generate personalised installers with your username etc on them ;)

[Note to self... may have to move to NSIS for installers to generate the personalised ones... bigups again for that charlie ;)]

It's a bit of work to do... especially the user area, but I think there's a plan underway... Watch this space :D